Shredded Beef for sandwiches
Most of the recipes we post here are the “healthy” category. But we also are posting “other” favorites. This recipes falls in the later category (of course, in moderation, most things are “good”).
When we are having a larger group over for an informal meal (like we are tonight for playing cards), we often make shredded beef for sandwiches. It is fairly simple to prepare in the crock pot that morning and is ready to go whenever the group is ready. There are lots of such recipes out there. Here is one that we use. It is from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Italian-Beef-for-Sandwiches/Detail.aspx. In case it is ever deleted or moved, here is the recipe:
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
- 1 (5 pound) rump roast
- Combine water with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Place roast in slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork.