Supper options – Many of our favorites are from Eating Well Magazine. The list is sorted by “meat” and frequency of our enjoying. Calories and grams of fat, carbohydrates, and protein (F/C/P) listed are per serving.
- Mini-pizza – a regular of ours, quick and easy (with built in portion control)
- Spicy Beef with Shrimp and Bok Chok – We generally omit the shrimp and increase the beef from ¾ pounds to 1 pound. 204 cal. 8/6/22 gr F/C/P
- Korean Beef Stir Fry - Good source of protein. 410 cal; 17/28/35 gr F/C/P
- Steak and Portabella Stew - High in protein. 311 cal. 9/22/29 gr F/C/P
- Steak & Broccoli Stir-fry
- Beef Tostada
- Braised chicken – Two excellent, easy meals. The first night is Wine and Tomato Braised Chicken, prepared in the crock pot. The second night is Braised Chicken Gumbo from the leftovers of night 1. Night 1: 260 cal; 13/6/25 gr F/C/P. Night 2: 362 cal; 16/24/27 gr F/C/P.
- Chicken & Farfalle with Creamy Walnut Sauce Tasty and a great source of Omega-3s (we substitute olive oil for the recommended walnut oil). 468 cal 17/48/36 gr F/C/P.
- Sesame Chicken Rice Salad
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – Very good, a satisfying serving 357 cal; 12/24/37 gr F/C/P.
- Chicken Cassoulet - a tasty mix of flavors; filling. One of David’s favorites. 411 cal 14/44/34 gr F/C/P.
- Curried Pear Chicken– It made the house smell good. Mild and good. 305 cal; 14/16/25 gr F/C/P.
- White chili - 453 cal; 6/44/44 gr F/C/P. Good source of protein.
- Chicken Forestiere - 276 cal; 18/15/28 gr F/C/P.
- Chicken Parsnip and Apple stew - 321 cal; 8/34/31 gr F/C/P.
- Chicken Tomato Soup
- Chicken with Spinach over Pasta
- Edamame Lo Mein - One of Cathy’s favorites. Vegetarian. A bit of kick to it. 417 cal, 13/60/18 gr F/C/P.
- Spaghetti with Mushroom Bolognese – While meatless, it is still very tasty and hearty. 367 cal; 8/62/14 gr F/C/P.
- Mushroom Barley Soup – Great anytime but esp. on cool days 343 cal; 10/38/14 gr F/C/P.
- Mushroom & Bean Barley Soup
- Sweet potato and black bean chili - 374 cal; 6/67/14 gr F/C/P.
- Red Beans and Rice
- Vegetarians Fajitas
- Mushroom, Sausage, and Spinach Lasagna – One of our favorite meals. Only 333 cal. 14/28/26 gr F/C/P.
- Corn and Bacon Chowder - Good reviews. 338 cal. 17/38/12 gr F/C/P.
- Smoky stuffed peppers - 294 cal. 11/32/19 gr F/C/P.
Healthy vegetable & side dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Garlic and Shallots (added 10/29/2011) – Don’t think you like Brussels Sprouts? We didn’t think so until we have them fresh in this recipe.
- Japanese Chicken-Scallion Rice Bowl – a good “in-a-hurry” recipe; one serving may not be enough for a complete meal. 262 cal. 3/47/22 gr F/C/P.
Breakfast options (don’t skip this meal;it is important as it can keep you from eating more later)
- Bran Flax Muffins
- Healthy Granola, I mix it with fruit (like pineapple) and yogurt
- Poached Eggs with toast (we have a neat poacher that makes this easy)
- Omelet (my Saturday treat; we also have it for suppers once in a while as it is quick)
Lunch is usually a sandwich and a piece of fruit.
Other favorites (not necessarily as healthy – all things in moderation)
- Recipe for Shredded beef in the crock pot, for sandwiches; easy meal when you have a group over