Below is the granola recipe that Cathy makes and we all love. It takes Cathy about 5 to 10 minutes to measure, mix, etc. It then takes about 1½ hours to bake over low heat. It takes some planning to get all the ingredients but the taste is well worth the haste.
It makes 12 cups (36 1/3 cup serving).
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats (non-quick oats)
- 2 cups rolled wheat (you may need to go to health food store to obtain; alternatively: just add two more cups of oats)
- 1 cup unprocessed oat or wheat bran (at the grocery store)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup nonfat dry milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ to 1 cups raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 to 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped apples or pineapples [or other dried fruit like cranberries]
- 1 cup coconut (optional)
Mix the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Prepare sauce: Mix ½ cup oil, 1 cup water, ¾ cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla in blender. Mix on low.
Pour sauce over dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
Spread mixture on a large baking sheet. Bake in a 200 degree oven for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until golden and almost dry. Occasionally stir. Break into bite-sized pieces.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Use as cold cereal or on top of yogurt and fruit.